Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get solar panel frames for mounting solar cells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get solar panel frames for mounting solar cells?

Hi, I want to make DIY solar panels but I can't find anyone that sells the frames that I need. I really want them to look professional so I don't want to make them out of wood. Would anyone know of a manufacturer of these frames? I've looked at buying aluminuim extrusions and plastic sheets but really looking for a complete kit as I want least amount of time cutting strips to length etc... Any other ideas and knowledge of what other people have used would be a great help also, many thanks in advance!

Maybe some extrusions at a Frames-Are-Us type of store ? There really is not much
    made for DIY PV panels, as it's impossible to hermetically seal them well enough to get a 10 year lifetime. OK for a hobby, but impractical for 24/7 outdoor use.

Build a small one, get an idea how they are made, and then buy a factory panel, and enjoy the fit & finish and the 25+ lifetime of it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you Mike, I'll be able to find a way of sealing it enough in order for it to work just as good as a factory made panel. I don't mind paying the prices of a factory made panel, I've even found supplers that are willing to sell to me at trade price but thats not the point. Im looking at starting my own small business where I live in the UK, as, locally there is a large demand for solar panels.

Comment

Please people consider the facts the real facts. You don't want to try to build your own PV panels nor do you want to install your own PV system unless you are willing to do all the work....I mean ALL the work that must be done by a pro. It's possible but like Mike says very impracticable to say the least. So, when you see these nut cases claiming they built their own panels...consider the fact that most didn't do anything of the sort...especially if they are trying to sell you something, a book or what ever showing you how to do it. These guys are not for real. Their mostly scam artist so please be aware of this first. Then do what you wish. There's a reason why no one offers panels for a few bucks...it's because it can't be done for a few bucks...period! Think about it, we don't pull our own teeth do we, well most of us don't. We don't build our own cars nor do we build our own TV's and it's for good reason, mainly because we can't. So forget these people...they are full of crap, period! Learn, research ask questions and be safe and use your brains... it's electricity and most haven't a clue of the dangers you'll encounter.

Comment

thank you Photovoltaic Supporter but I think I'll do just fine, I'm an electrician and British, we invented electricity! :O) No but really I'll be fine and yes I'm going about it in a professional manor. It can be done. On a seperate note, whats the point of having a DIY section if the only people that come on here don't give you any real help at all and only warns you against DIY panels, whats the point in that??? Im most confused!

Comment

Hey Timmy, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear or misunderstood your question. I am of the belief that DIY is great but this sort of thing isn't for just anyone. That is all I meant. Here in the states we have thousands of websites that claim to give you the fofo to do such things without any experience and for me this is BS as well as dangerous for those not as bright as a light bulb ya know...so anyway, sure it can be done but can it be done for less..? What is less, if it takes 30 hours to build and cost $ 100. US then have you really saved any money. I figure time is money so at that rate it would cost more then if I went out and purchased one with a warranty and a UL approval. See here you don't just tie into the electric grid for kicks...you'd be in loads of trouble not to mention may burn your house down as well...or worse...so that's my take on it. I mean what would ya get, a 20-40 or so watt panel...you can buy those here for 50 US so...what's the point? Most sites here that make such claims or simple BS scammers....con-men and such. So I say better safe then sorry!

Comment

Ok, Well we'll see. Do you know of any supplier who supplies frame's?

Comment

Originally posted by timmyraa2 View Post
                electrician and British, we invented electricity!
                You are not related to some chap named Mr. Lucas Electric ?
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Ok, Well we'll see. Do you know of any supplier who supplies frame's?
                  You will need to look for a "Aluminum Extrusion" in the right profile. Lip to hold the glass in,
                  ridges to stiffen it, and hold the backing sheets. Needs to be pre-cut, then anodized to stop corrosion. Look at a pre-made panel, and see the profile you need. You might find something at a picture frame shop, but you need a specialty item.
                  And the the backing material.
                  The sealer.
                  The vacuum heat press.
                  Materials need to have a complimentary thermal expansion coefficient.
                  If a warranty, then an insurance bond, to stand behind it for 20 years
                  A PV cell supplier. The stuff on eBay is all 2nds, fails spec.
                  Lead free solder that can take daily heat cycles for 20 years.

A whole bunch of stuff, and not even electrical testing and grading yet.

Comment

Yes, Thank you Mike, I know all of this. Like I said before, Im just after a supplier of frames. I've found the extrusions I need, Im just after an easier option, maybe a kit. I've got a few samples from China flying it's way over to me so I'll see what they are like and report back.

Comment

DIY solar panel frame and panel build

Thanks
                      This is a great forum, you hear the pros and the cons of DIY. I would like to share how I built mine. I'm sure I will buy mine for more complex projects, but all this one has to do is keep my RV batteries charged when I lose ac power when I'm not around, which happens a lot in South Florida from lighting surge.
                      I only visit my RV about every 3 weeks 60 miles away, I'm tired of losing everything in my fridge when the power goes out, the fridge will drain the batteries in about 2 weeks from keeping the gas valve open.

36 cells: I first went and purchased enough 1 1/4 aluminum angle to build a 29"X36" frame, I cut all to 45 degree angles and then I cut 4=1 1/4 long pieces of the angle for corner supports, then since I don't have a way to weld aluminum without taking it to a welder I bought JB weld and welded it all together and boy is it solid, I next bought from HD a 4X8 sheet of 1/8th inch hard board white one side, I cut two pieces 29X36 and laminated then together, and then installed my cells, I used 1/2 X 1/2 inch hardwood squares and glued them in between the rows on the hard board, I then had a piece of 1/8 clear glass cut for $39.00 29X36, I sealed everything all together, then I bought a cheap vacuum gauge off E-Bay for $15.00.
                      Their is a lot of talk about moisture damaging the panel, so I am going to pull a vacuum and remove all the air and see if I get a longer life out of my DIY panel+ I already had some aluminum prep and zinc primer, so I painted my frame to avoid oxidation. Of course the jury is still out to see if it all works, But I will post the good or bad, mine is putting out 19.5 volts with no load.
                      My total cost with caulking and the controller, frame, board, cells, wood aluminum, gauge and hardware about $165.00. To compare a store bought @3.00 per watt X 63 watts= $190.00, so I saved $25.00, big deal, at least I know a lot more about solar now. I think one has to get their hands dirty first before they appreciate factory made panel.
                      This is just my opinion.
                      Thanks
                      GREAT FORUM
                      junodale

Comment

Originally posted by junodale View Post
                        I think one has to get their hands dirty first before they appreciate factory made panel.
                        Congratulations ! Enjoy it.

Mike

Comment

Aluminium Frames

IF this is helpfull take a look at this video,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcR3wMO5Wuc

Comment

Yes, Thank you Mike, I know all of this. Like I said before, Im just after a supplier of frames. I've found the extrusions I need, Im just after an easier option, maybe a kit. I've got a few samples from China flying it's way over to me so I'll see what they are like and report back.
                            Hello everyone. This is very helpful, reading all your thoughts. I'm also trying to source the same framing you are. I'd appreciate knowing what source you do have. I'm actually in the glass business and know of several aluminum suppliers but not the profile we both seem to be looking for. I can tell you that once we find it we'll be able to buy it in 12-16 foot lengths and cut it to our needs. The metal has a profile that accepts screws from the adjoining piece once the two are mated in the corner. Just like the B P panels I've bought. It's very easy once we've got the right material. Over the years i've seen window frames, shower door frames, and storefront frames using this simple joinery. I doubt if B P or any other panel provider will share their source with us. Competition. Looking forward to figuring this out. Solarwindal

Comment

Originally posted by junodale View Post
                              Thanks
                              This is a great forum, you hear the pros and the cons of DIY. I would like to share how I built mine. I'm sure I will buy mine for more complex projects, but all this one has to do is keep my RV batteries charged when I lose ac power when I'm not around, which happens a lot in South Florida from lighting surge.
                              I only visit my RV about every 3 weeks 60 miles away, I'm tired of losing everything in my fridge when the power goes out, the fridge will drain the batteries in about 2 weeks from keeping the gas valve open.

36 cells: I first went and purchased enough 1 1/4 aluminum angle to build a 29"X36" frame, I cut all to 45 degree angles and then I cut 4=1 1/4 long pieces of the angle for corner supports, then since I don't have a way to weld aluminum without taking it to a welder I bought JB weld and welded it all together and boy is it solid, I next bought from HD a 4X8 sheet of 1/8th inch hard board white one side, I cut two pieces 29X36 and laminated then together, and then installed my cells, I used 1/2 X 1/2 inch hardwood squares and glued them in between the rows on the hard board, I then had a piece of 1/8 clear glass cut for $39.00 29X36, I sealed everything all together, then I bought a cheap vacuum gauge off E-Bay for $15.00.
                              Their is a lot of talk about moisture damaging the panel, so I am going to pull a vacuum and remove all the air and see if I get a longer life out of my DIY panel+ I already had some aluminum prep and zinc primer, so I painted my frame to avoid oxidation. Of course the jury is still out to see if it all works, But I will post the good or bad, mine is putting out 19.5 volts with no load.
                              My total cost with caulking and the controller, frame, board, cells, wood aluminum, gauge and hardware about $165.00. To compare a store bought @3.00 per watt X 63 watts= $190.00, so I saved $25.00, big deal, at least I know a lot more about solar now. I think one has to get their hands dirty first before they appreciate factory made panel.
                              This is just my opinion.
                              Thanks
                              GREAT FORUM
                              junodale
                              Where did you get your aluminum? Thanks= Solarwindal

Comment

Working...
                              X